Fungal Nail Infections; Prevention And Treatment
Self-consciousness that may lead to inability to rock your desired footwear due to toenails discoloration and brittleness can be as a result of a fungal nail infection. These infections can cause the nails to be noticeably discolored and brittle. You definitely wouldn’t want to be worrying about nail infections and not being able to wear open-toed sandals. There are various ways to efficiently prevent and steer clear of fungal nail infections and best toenail fungus treatment options.
Prevention of fungal nail infections
Preventing nail infections shouldn’t be a hassle because it just requires basic care of the finger and toe nails.Fungi naturally grows in warm and moist areas. Keeping your body, clothes, footwears and your surroundings dry and neat can hinder the growth of fungi. Fungal nail infections are communicative and can be easily spread from one person to another through sharing of manicure tools and contact with an infected person or place.Some handy tips on prevention of fungal nail infections includes:
- Use personal nail care tools, do not share nail clippers or scissors.
- Always keep your feet dry and clean, also trim your toenails short and keep them neat at every moment.
- Gloves or socks should be kept dry and clean at all time.
- Do not enter public showers, locker rooms or other fungus prone places bare footed.
- Ensure proper and prompt treatment of athlete’s foot to prevent it from spreading to the nails.
- Avoid using other people’s towel.
- Clean out dirty shoes dirty wearing.
Symptoms of fungal toenail infections.
What causes toenail fungus? Kindly try out a treatment option if you notice the following symptoms:
- A noticeable change in texture, i.e. the nail becomes thicker, crumbly or brittle.
- A change in nail color usually white, brown or yellow
- If you perceive an unusual or nasty odor from the nails.
- If you notice a toenail looking bent or pulling off from the nail bed.
How do you treat and cure a fungal nail infection?
For non-critical cases, you can apply over the counter products in the comfort of your home. However, in more sever cases, you might need anti fungal tablets or laser treatment.
There are a variety of options to treat fungal nail infections at home.
- Tea tree oil.
- Oregano oil
- Snake root extract
- Ozonized oils
- Olive leaf extract
Home remedies takes patience and dedication and may be ineffective for some people.Home remedies curing abilitiesis dependent on the severity of the infection and even the nail texture. Softer nails are able to absorb the treatment faster. Although home remedies take longer to work, their upside is that it has little to no side effects unlike drugs. Home remedies are cheap and are sold in stores.
In more severe cases, your doctor my prescribe oral anti-fungal drugs such asterbinafine (Lamisil), Itraconazole (Sporanox),Fluconazole (Diflucan),Griseofulvin (Gris-PEG). Anti-fungaldrugs mayshow side effects and needs to be used formonthsbefore the infection is cleared off.However, fungal infections may reoccur even after treatment with drugs. Diabetic patients and pregnant women should get adequate prescriptions before treating their fungal nail infections.